Researchers have developed an online vision test—fueled by artificial intelligence (AI)—that produces much more accurate diagnoses than the sheet of capital letters. The test could also help patients with eye diseases track their vision at home. The test asks 20 questions per eye and takes a couple minutes to complete. As the test goes on, the algorithm is able to make a more accurate prediction about the score. When researchers ran their “Stanford acuity test” (StAT) through 1000 simulations mimicking real patients, the diagnostic reduced error by 74% compared with the Snellen test.
One of Honor’s newly announced smartphones, the Honor Play 4 Pro, is available with an infrared temperature sensor. A video shows the handset displaying temperature readings after being held up to people’s faces and wrists. The phones were announced in China, and there’s currently no word of an international release. Honor says that the sensor works between temperatures of -20 degrees Celsius and 100 degrees Celsius (roughly -4 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit), which is more than enough to cover the human body’s range of potential temperatures, and that it can sense temperatures down to the tenth of a degree.
Human cells genetically engineered to vary their transparency by making a squid protein could one day lead to see-through tissue. Gorodetsky and his team took human embryonic kidney cells – which are naturally transparent – and grew them in a dish after genetically engineering them to produce the reflectin protein found in opalescent squid. By altering the salinity of the fluid surrounding the kidney cells, they were able to make the reflectin inside the cells clump together or separate. This changed the proportion of visible light that was either reflected by the cells or passed through them.
A study compared pairs of identical and non-identical 17-year-old twins to see how strongly they were affected by positive or negative experiences – their ‘sensitivity’ level. If identical twins show no more similarity in their levels of sensitivity than non-identical twins, then genes are unlikely to play a role. The team found that 47 percent of the differences in sensitivity between individuals were down to genetics, leaving 53 percent accounted for by environmental factors. They found that there was a shared genetic component between sensitivity, neuroticism and extraversion, but not with any of the other personality traits.
Shares of Tiffany & Co. plunged after a report that its blockbuster $16.2 billion takeover by luxury goods giant LVMH, which would have been the biggest luxury brand deal ever, is now looking less likely to go through. LVMH’s board called a meeting in Paris specifically to discuss the takeover, with management expressing concerns about a deteriorating situation in the U.S. market. No firm decision was made but board members made clear that the acquisition should be reconsidered. LVMH originally reached a deal to buy Tiffany & Co. in November 2019 with he agreed upon purchase price of $135 per share.
Uber trip requests are gradually picking up, but still remain significantly below prior year levels, as several countries start to lift coronavirus-led restrictions. Trip requests are now down about 70% from a year earlier, slightly lesser than April’s 80% drop. the company’s rides business is improving on a week-over-week basis, adding that the surge in food-delivery orders at Uber Eats recorded in the first quarter, showed no signs of slowing in May, easing concerns of investors who thought it could be a one-off trend during the pandemic. Rival Lyft also signalled a rebound in ridership, saying rides on its platform rose 26% in May from the previous month.
Scientists using an aerial remote-sensing method have discovered the largest and oldest-known structure built by the ancient Maya civilization – a colossal rectangular elevated platform built between 1,000 and 800 BC in Mexico’s Tabasco state. The structure, unlike the soaring Maya pyramids at cities like Tikal in Guatemala and Palenque in Mexico erected some 1,500 years later, were not built of stone but rather of clay and earth, and likely was used for mass rituals. In total volume, it exceeded ancient Egypt’s Great Pyramid of Giza built 1,500 years earlier.
A state of emergency was introduced in Norilsk, Russia’s nickel capital, after almost 20,000 tons of diesel burst out of a reserve fuel tank at the TPP-3 industrial site. The exact reason of the leak is yet to be established, but a statement from Norilsk Nickel company, which operates the site suggests it could have been caused – worryingly – by collapsing permafrost. A car driving outside the storage depot caught fire due to contact with leaked fuel, prompting initial reports about the vehicle had crashed into it, causing a fire and leak.